Re: ARSG Questions

Hi Adam,

Glad to hear your getting the coil up and running with the VFD! I've read your posts at work but haven't had time at home or work to respond in the past few days. I originally used a resistor in my pig (2.5 ohm, really big 3KW resistor). My reason for using it was the pig would thump at high power levels. The change in current in the core causes the thumping and it is a very discernible audible low frequency noise. I only heard this with my 13" diameter coil, but quit using it with my smaller coils as the thumping was no longer there. I'm not sure this will help with your issues at the gap. The resistor is there to limit the speed of change of current in the core (slow the change down) as a fixed value. I don't realize a relationship for the gap issue. I mention this because it's probably wise to go down some other avenues first.

I suspect the gap itself is the issue. I personally use as close a spacing as possible. I don't remember in the posts if you described your gap, but if not, that would maybe help (or picture would be cool!). I personally don't like a static gap in use with a rotary when I consider an ideal case. A static gap is a band aid for a rotary that needs to be beefed up for the power. But, due to cost and onhand components, it is often the best coarse of action for the time because as rotary requirements for power increase, the cost goes up.

Anyway, I was just thinking if we could see your ARSG, than maybe something might stick out to those who have run into similar problems.

Take care,
Bart

PS, are you adjusting speed with the 0-10V analog input or are you using presets? (just curious).

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks. I just added another 30 Hz to my VDF setup, so
I can go from 30 to 150, with a 1725 RPM motor. That
will allow breakrates of up to 575. At current power
levels, I get better length at around 70 - 80 Hz,
which is around 280 bps. I started this coil back in
2003 if I recall. While I say I've played with gap
spacing some, I kinda concider this weekend to be
first light, as I was unable to get the rsg to "keep"
the spark, as my safety gaps always took over. I'll
keep playing and will look for a big resistor to use
in line with my welder. I'vwe always read about some
folks needing resistive ballast, but I thought that
was just to keep their welder happy. I have two slide
chokes that I plan on using instead of my welder. Do
they also need the resistive ballast, or is this more
of a welder ballast issue?

Adam

Be a PS3 game guru.