Re: Peter's tesla coil on a car pic in May issue of IEEE Spectrum

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"..very familiar...." Sounds like that picture is getting over-exposed.
I had to laugh at this one. One of the things that caught fire was "..the tape supporting the rotating rod". Which was true, but I'm not sure that it was really worthy of a mention in IEEE spectrum!
And I resent the implication that my son, Chris, is a thief - it was me!
With the last comment about the pool shots, I did go ahead and have sparks onto my head in the pool. That is in the Discovery Channel shoot tapes that have been FedEx'ed to Canada. Assuming they get the go ahead after editting on 10th May, it should show in Canada in the next few weeks. Depending on which 5 minutes out of 3 hours video they keep, it may show the car thief setup in real time video by shuffling frames in post production. That should look really neat as I wasn't that successful in doing that myself in a different lighting situation. I now have a new videocam so if I hire the car for the 5th time, I might retry it myself. Other shots taken were the cap bank exploding steel wool, and the 18 inch coil being made up and putting out 8 foot sparks. There was also can crushing stuff and electric shock demos using a controlled 18mA pulse through my arm. The latter was fine the first time but was less fun after several long close up shots particularly as I couldn't reduce the current due to video continuity.
Peter
http://tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil_sparks.htm

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
All,
I was idly paging through the May issue of IEEE Spectrum that came in today's mail when I encountered a very familiar picture - as a two-page centerfold no less(!):
http://spectrum.ieee.org/may07/5053
Congratulations again, Peter!
Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured