Subject : Re: Large Plasma Globe Calculations

Date : Fri, 04 May 2007 17:19:27 -0600

From : "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

To : tesla@xxxxxxxxxx

Original poster: "Scott Bogard"

Matt

One generally does not need to break the globe to get the HV lead out,

My 6 incher doesn't do much anything into pure air (unless you use a

grounded object to strike to, or it is really,really dark, then you

see corona). I have never measured the length of the arcs or corona,

maybe I will, out of curiosity's sake (I'm not sure how to do it

accurately though, but I'll think of somethin! g.)

Scott Bogard.

From : "Tesla list"

>To : tesla@xxxxxxxxxx

>Original poster: "Drake Schutt"

>would a 9/60 coil really power i 125 dia sphere nobel gas filled

>globe? wow i wouldve thought it would take more to ionize all of that gas....

>On 4/30/07, Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "resonance" <

>resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>You need an oven large enough to bake out the globe --- to remove all

>the residuals. We also blast ours with argon at 50 kV for 2 hrs to

&!
gt;do the final removal after baking.

>The oven large enough to bake a 125 ft dia sphere should only cost a

>million $$$ or so. Our oven for up to 40 inch dia. globes, used,

>cost us $9,500.00, and we got a "good deal" on it.

>Dr. Resonance

>;Hi everyone, just wondering if these calculations I made seem to be

> >close to correct? I remember hearing someone say that a 6" plasma

> >globe would probably send 4mm streamers in the air instead of the

> >gas filled sphere. So if that is not correct then these calculations

> >would be way off.

> >Standard Six Inch Plasma Globe

>< br>
> >& Spark Gap Tesla Coil;

> >Compare Chart

> >************************

> >S_IG = Spark In Gas

> >S_IA = Spark In Air

> >************************

> >------------------------

> >Six Inch Plasma Globe;

> >( 76.20mm ) 3.00in S_IG

> >( 04.00mm ) 0.16in S_IA

> >------------------------

> >************************

> >76/4 = 19 (?)

> >711.2 x 19 = 13,512.80

>&g!

>t;************************

&gt!
; >------------------------

> >Medium/Small 9/30 SG Coil;

> >( 13512.80mm ) 532.00in 44.30ft S_IG

> >( 711.20mm ) 28.00in 2.30ft S_IA

> >Sphere Diameter 88.60ft

> >------------------------

> >------------------------

> >Medium Sized 9/60 SG Coil;

> >( 19304.00mm ) 760.00in 63.30ft S_IG

> >( 1016.00mm ) 40.00in 3.30ft S_IA

> >Sphere Diameter 126.60ft

> >------------------------

> >------------------------

> >Medium/Large 15/6! 0 SG Coil;

> >( 26790.00mm ) 1055.00in 87.90ft S_IG

> >( 1410.00mm ) 51.50in 4.60ft S_IA

> >Sphere Diameter 175.80ft

> >-------------------------

> >If the calculations are correct, that would ! be one amazingly huge

> >Plasma Globe to see. Would it even b e possible to build one that

> >large? I was thinking and the coil would need to be elevated to the

> >exact center of the sphere to work correctly. I would think the

> >primary would need to be heavily insulated if the coil was in the

> >sphere. Something special for the spark gap would have to be thought

> >up, or just use a VTTC, maybe. Of course a Glass sphere that large

> >would! cost thousands of dollars to make though, if not more. I doubt

> >this is something any of us on the list could build.

> >----------

> >Love Games? Gamesville is Waiting for You... Free Online Games, Fat

> >Cash $ Prizes Plus Bingo, Solitaire, Poker & Much More!

>http://www.gamesville.com

>Love Games? Gamesville is Waiting for You... Free Online Games, Fat

>Cash $ Prizes Plus Bingo, Solitair! e, Poker & Much More!

>http://www.gamesville.com

Watch free concerts with Pink, Rod Stewart, Oasis and more. Visit

MSN In Concert today. http://music.msn.com/presents?icid=ncmsnpresentstagline

Love Games? Gamesville is Waiting for You... Free Online Games, Fat Cash $ Prizes Plus Bingo, Solitaire, Poker & Much More! <http://www.gamesville.com?if_Event=LYCOSMAILgvilletxt>http://www.gamesville.com