Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 10:08:21 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

Hi Brett,

Marc Metlicca designed the TSG. Ted Rosenburg wrote up the famous
document of how to build it and he did a great job.
http://www.classictesla.com/download/tgap.pdf

Job Tebbs later that same year (2001) designed a zero crossing trigger
driver.
http://www.classictesla.com/download/stsg_zc_driver.gif

At that time, I ended up building both to run on my 8.5" x 40" coil.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/tgk/13.jpg
A few caps, a GM HEI automotive coil. The dimmer circuit I mounted on
the corner of my control panel.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/tgk/14.jpg

The sparkgap I built for it however was ridiculous.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/tgk/30.jpg
I used some tungsten rod stock and tried to heat sink with copper
tubing. I've built some dumb gaps in my time, and this one is certainly
one of them.

The TSG worked fine.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/tgk/tgk2.jpg
I kept the power really low for a lot of reasons and I guess the main
reason is the gap.

I really can't judge the TSG. In hind-sight (if I were to build
another), the sparkgap should be of large copper tubing and no tungsten
rod stock. In other words, a normal pipe gap. At the time, I was
building a lot of different projects so the TSG did not get enough time
spent on it. I got involved with a SRSG variable stationary device and
put the TSG aside never to go back to it. Certainly a cool idea.

However, for a TSG to replace an RSG? I don't think so. The TSG falls
under the same power issues of any static gap.

Take care,
Bart