Flat Ribbon Primary Inductance Calculation (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 00:04:53 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Flat Ribbon Primary Inductance Calculation

Hi All,

Today I threw together another javascript design tool to find the
inductance for Flat Ribbon Coils (and yes it's quite different than
round wire of the same thickness, pitch, etc..).
http://www.classictesla.com/java/flatribbon/flatribbon.html

I began with Grovers calculations and interpolations. I also looked at
what Kurt Schraner had discovered in the Circular of the Bureau of
Standards No. 74. Both Kurts and Grovers results were nearly identical
(and a good crosscheck on Kurts calculations). Grovers calculations
required 4 tables of lookup constants which was far more tedious than
Kurts calculations. I therefore used Kurts discovered calculation as it
was far easier to implement.

And of course the program handles both metric and inches.

Hope you find it useful in the future. The link is on my main page under
"Javascript Design Tools".

I'd like to thank Kurt Schraner for researching and putting together
this calculation in an Excel spreadsheet for Flat Ribbon Coils. Very
useful tool and well thought out.
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/FlatRibbonCoil.zip

Take care,
Bart