Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:48:17 EDT
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

In a message dated 5/14/2007 4:23:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

So the  larger gap spacing and fan wasn't
sufficient (in your tests) to provide  equal quenching
as the SRSG?

Brett,

I know your question was to Bart, but I just wanted to say that I  didn't
check the quench quality of the triggered gap when I tested it on my coil,
but
it apparently quenched adequately since the spark length was the same
as when using the SRSG.  In general quenching is not that  important.
For example if a gap quenches on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd notch, it  probably
won't make any noticeable difference in spark length.  For the most  part
the quenching depends mostly on spark loading when using an SRSG
and the same probably applies to the triggered gap.  If the coil is  run
at very low power with short sparks, the quenching will show more
notches before the quench using a variety of different gap types.
As the power is ramped up, and sparks get longer, the sparks drain
out the energy, and less energy is available to return to the primary  to
keep the gap alive.  So the gap will quench faster with longer  sparks
for a given coil.  I like to think of quenching quality as something  that is
more
related to the overall coil than to the gap itself, although the gap does
have
some effect.

If one builds a multiple gap with so many gaps that it forces a first  notch
quench, this will probably also reduce the spark length.  Often longer
sparks are obtained with a gap that gives a 2nd or 3rd notch quench  than
one that produces a 1st notch quench.  This is because trying to  force
a 1st notch quench produces so much loss in the gap, that
the spark lengths become shorter.

John