Re: Teletype motor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:31:03 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Teletype motor (fwd)

In a message dated 5/15/07 8:21:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Are you sure then that it is a hysteresis motor?  It sounds  to  me

>like it is *not* a hysteresis motor.  A true hysteresis   motor will lock

>into random phases, not phases that are 90 degrees  separated.

>An 1800rpm motor that locks at only 90 degree positions is a   typical
salient

>pole or reaction type sync motor.
>

>I realize that folks often say that a salient pole or reaction  motor

>always locks up in the same phase position.  This however is  not

>true.  What is meant is that the motor always locks into  a  correct

>phase position.  For an 1800 rpm motor, there are 4  correct  phase

>positions, and for a 3600 rpm motor there are 2 correct phase   positions.

>By *correct*, I mean correct for use in synchronous spark  gaps

>for Tesla coil use.

Thanks for the clarification, John!

    At least I know for certain now what it *does*,  even if I don't know
what to call it! :)

    This subtlety could actually be significant to some  designs with
asymmetric electrode spacing.

    >It sounds like you did a good job selecting  your cap value for the
phase shifter circuit.

    Thank you for inventing it, and thanks for your  help troubleshooting it!

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities