Re: Large GE Caps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:52:52 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large GE Caps (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: List moderator <mod1@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Chip,

These caps (GE 17L480PH) were originally made especially for Varian, and
were used in HV pulse forming networks (PFN's) in 1970's vintage
electron beam accelerators. These systems accelerated electrons up to 16
MeV, then smashed them into targets (usually copper) in order to
generate high energy X-rays for various medical applications.

In 2003, I pulled out a batch of these from some Varian equipment, and I
asked GE for any specs on them at the time. The applications engineer in
the Capacitor & Power Quality Products area indicated that these were
paper/foil/oil pulse capacitors, and they had been (at that time)
obsolete for over 20 years.

Although they are pulse caps, they do NOT use a  polypropylene
dielectric system. Because of the paper-oil dielectric system, they are
ideal for DC, PFN, and light oscillatory duty. However, they will be
lossy and will heat up under extended TC use, but they should work OK in
a TC if properly derated or if pairs are connected in series. Because
they are so large (14" x 12" x 4"), they have significant thermal mass,
so it should take a while to heat them up. And they sure have nice
"Frankenstein-looking" insulators...  :^)

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured