RE: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:14:25 -0500
From: Michael Strube <mjstrube@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

Hi Bart,

Yes, my feeble machining skills (and equipment) limited the materials I was
able to work with on that design, with brass being on the easy end.  I like
your idea about increasing the heat-sinking ability by increasing the
surface area of the round stock. I would think that the slots approach in
combination with the vacuum would work pretty well.

Last year I tried to take some crude temperature measurements to see where
the big losses were occurring.  I fired up the coil, let it run for about 10
minutes, shut it down, and then rushed in with the infrared thermometer to
check a particular part. Then I repeated the whole process for different
parts.  Of course the temperature dropped by varying amounts in the few
seconds it took me to get the measurements, but the results were still
rather revealing, at least from a relative standpoint:

MMC: 28 C
Top of the secondary: 28 C
Middle of the secondary: 29 C
Triggered Gap Electrode: 29 C
Bottom of the secondary: 40 C
Inner Turn of the Primary: 49 C
Terry Filter Resistor (1 k): 149 C

Those filter resistors are really killing me. I might not need them anymore
because I'm using a much sturdier MOT supply instead of the original NST.
I've been hesitant to remove the filter because the MOT supply took such a
long time to build--I would hate to see it go.

The trigger gap has a definite sweet spot in the adjustment and so too does
the vacuum.  They need to be adjusted together to get the best results.  The
vacuum has a maximum that is truly impressive--one of the best surplus buys
I've found.

I'll send the schematic for the trigger gap off-list; as I recall,
attachments don't make it through.  Anyone else who wants it, let me know.

Best,

Mike