Re: Car Ignition Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:01:38 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Car Ignition Coil (fwd)

Hi Michael,

I'm sure others will have more knowledge and terms, but from my chair, a
car ignition coil is an auto transformer. It is nothing more than a
coil. When you charge the coil by way of the cap, the inductance stores
the energy. In order to dump the energy for the spark, the circuit must
be interrupted. The distributor (lets assume old style points) is
nothing more than a mechanical switch or interrupter. As the distributor
turns, it opens and closes the points. Thus, it stores energy then
discharges energy. At each break, the auto transformer releases it's
energy in the form of a voltage that is about 2500 times the original
12V charge (back in the days of using points). As the distributor
rotates and the energy is released, the rotor electrode aligns with a
given spark plug wire electrode to cause the spark plug to ignite the
air/fuel mixture following that particular cylinders compression stroke
(unless your timing is off).

So, it is working as it is suppose to. However, if you want to try to
cause a continuous hv pulse output, then you will need a circuit on the
low voltage side of the coil. As a matter of fact, we've been discussing
trigger spark gaps. This is nothing more than using a GM ignition coil
to fire across the electrodes and "begin" discharge of the main cap
stored energy (the electrodes are set wide in this gap to prevent the
sparkgap from reaching breakdown potential, thus, the trigger controls
"when" the gap fires and not the gap spacing itself). You could
certainly use the following circuit to trigger the ignition coil at 120
bps (line voltage peaks).
http://www.classictesla.com/download/tgap.pdf

It requires only a few components and a light dimmer. Of course, the
light dimmer isn't really necessary. You could simply just build the
dimmer circuit onto a pcb or whatever. But, it's sold ready to go
(although you will have better results replacing the triac inside the
dimmer with a higher current version).

Take care,
Bart