Re: Car Ignition Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:56:16 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Car Ignition Coil (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: List moderator <mod1@xxxxxxxxxx>

    The fact that the dimmer does work in this very simple application
is fortuitous and the mode of operation is fairly obscure with the
capacitor ending up being charged to effectively twice line voltage [it
can stay charged when you disconnect things so be careful].  The problem
with using this kind of a driver is that the narrow primary current
spikes are drawn directly from the power line and can cause all kinds of
mischief because they can easily hit 10 amps or more.  When I
experimented with light dimmers I ended up hooking a 20 ufd motor run
capacitor across the line to "keep the spikes at the bench" and of
course that capacitor drew a slug of current when first hooked to the

Ed