Re: Odd streamer photograph (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 22:55:34 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Odd streamer photograph (fwd)

Hi Matt,

The pixel noise is from the adjustment I made to bring our the hot areas
of the streamers. It's just the program, not the camera. The streamer
could also have influenced by ionized air to redirect upwards and then
the tip of the streamer is also playing a role to it's path. Lot's of
theory's I guess. Bert is probably the best at steamer propagation
theory that I'm aware of. The current in the streamer tip is involved in
the growth and many influences can change direction.

It is definitely a circuit. Streamers don't exist in an open circuit.
The circuit is created by the potential difference in the charged field
around the topload (charged particles around the top load). Although we
can't "see" the field, it's there. That's why streamers appear to just
jump out to nothing. But of course, there is a potential difference. It
doesn't have to be ground or a recognizable object. Steamers will start
out usually in an outward direction but can be influenced by heat,
grounded objects, unground objects, and even by voltage nodes along the
coil itself.

The only reason I mentioned a magnetic field is that a steamer itself
exerts a magnetic field and that particular little vertical steamer was
possibly influenced by a recent neighboring steamer. It is probably more
feasible that the ionization of a previous steamer changed it's
direction. But, hard to say.

Take care,
Bart