Re: [RE]Quenching Theory Question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 04:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RE]Quenching Theory Question (fwd)

Hi Bart,
      I won't argue that point, I was merely tossing out an idea for
whoever talking about this.  I wasn't making any real specification on
just how far one would wish to make the separation...more like making the
equvalent of a sync rotary gap, but having the series gaps separated
slightly...perhaps in a manner like the valves on a car...using a cam
driven by a synchronous motor.  Just musing here.
  Mike

  Hi Mike,

A lot of ways to do it mechanically. But, the idea is to "not"
drastically change the gap. If you increase the gap too far, you can
overvolt the transformer (and with NST's, it doesn't take much). It's
all guestimate and there's nothing precise about it. This is why I
adjust slightly to where it just won't fire (only a few thousands of an
inch, nothing drastic). Sometimes in this mode, I have to turn the NST
on and off a couple times to get it started.

Take care,
Bart