Re: Photos of 8 kVA twin coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:37:20 -0800
From: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Photos of 8 kVA twin coil (fwd)

Hi Finn,

There are small breakouts (about 1/8") on each toroid, set to break at
about 95% full drive.  Without the 1/8" breakouts, the toroids allow no
spark!  As the design evolves, the entire equator of the toroids will be
equipped with active breakouts, which can be activated and deactivated
at will.

Each primary drive is completely independent.  The two drives can
operate at any relative phase, and even at different break rates.
Connecting the two primaries together from a single drive would result
in excessive transport losses.  The drives are identical and
interchangeable, since both secondaries resonate at 60.25 kHz.

Yes, each primary is a single turn.  In fact, the transverse component
of the conductors inside the driver circuitry make up about 20% of the
effective primary loop.  This design also uses the Regenerative Tesla
Coil scheme described earlier, where the remaining ringdown energy in
the secondary is recovered back to the primary capacitor, after the
secondary voltage decays to the point where it no longer contributes to
the streamer growth.

-GL