Re: Fraceformer internal repair? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 18:43:46 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fraceformer internal repair? (fwd)

Hi Matt,

Good (not the finger, but getting the core out). So, the potting was
just not completely liquefied and that is why it would not pull out.
I've damaged the windings as well on my Franceformer. I actually
desoldered the GTO cable from the windings on purpose. I removed a layer
or two and resoldered the GTO back to the windings. No big deal doing
that. I solder on a daily basis at work, so maybe easier for someone who
has developed techniques (and a good soldering station also helps with
soldering).

You may have to remove the outer layer tape. After you connect the GTO
cables (solder or crimp), make sure soldered areas have no sharp
protrusions (they can short to the next layer). Use masking tape to hold
the winding and cable in place if your going to repot in vaseline or
wax. Route the GTO cables out of harms way (insert thin cardboard if
needed to steer wires out of harms way). If your "not" going to repot,
use a better tape.

The metallic plate was likely a type of crimp splice for a mechanical
connection. Good idea actually. You could do the same. Just buy some
small butt splices, remove the insulation if desired, sand off the sec
wire insulation, and splice the wire and GTO cable together.

Take care,
Bart