Re: 3 phase pole pig (fwd), Richie's Site back up (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:40:32 -0500
From: David Dean <deano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 3 phase pole pig (fwd), Richie's Site back up (fwd)

On Friday 02 November 2007 03:05:45 pm you wrote:
> [...]
Not really. Only from what I can tell you will not have a "N" brought out of
the case to ground.  You can ground the "n" terminal and not reference the
high voltage side. Or if the case can be opened you might be able to
swap "n" with "N" internally.  In any case, you do NOT connect the high
voltage neutral (N) with the low voltage neutral (n) in a Yy (wye to wye for
us US electricians) three phase transformer. Ritchie's site shows both
neutrals connected to ground. That is the normal way of doing things when you
use three transformers. A three phase transformer is, for all intents and
purposes, three single phase transformers sharing a single core.  The
magnetic flux is linked through all three sets of coils, and any imbalance in
source or load will result in possibly destructive neutral currents with both
neutrals connected together. So in a three phase transformer only one set of
windings (hi voltage or low voltage but not both) may be referenced to
ground. You could of course ground either end of the DC output, or if you use
a filter capacitor you could put two caps in series and use the midpoint for
ground to give a + and - supply. Other than the grounding thing there is no
difference between using three single phase or a single three phase
transformer in the six point rectifier circuit.

> I am
> almost sure that it's not going to be any zigzag or smth. In Lithuania
> there are usually 10kV to 0,4kV
> 3 phase transformers with 120deg angle between phases. I dont know what
> other configurations might be.
>
> What about a ballast for it?

If you go DC ballast in the input side of the transformer is not really
needed. A charging inductor  between DC output and spark gap for a
conventional coil, or one of the interesting rotary gap arrangements that
have been discussed a time or two would work out just fine. Note however that
depending on the service/breakers etc. you _might_ have an inrush current
problem when you power up the transformer as the core is magnetized. If that
proves to be, then one of the "soft start" solutions would be in order.  If
you use an energy storage or "filter" capacitor the inrush current will be
increased and may well become problematic requiring some means of inrush
current limiting.