Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:46:18 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

None of this proves Tesla type non Hertzian transmission . . .

That's right.  The fact that the radio receiver alone was unable to detect
any "radio waves" at a distance of only 60 meters, means that much more
aggressive measures have to be taken in the construction of the standard
radio wave receiving antenna that is used to take the SSTC transmitter
"standard radio wave output" measurements.  Then the Tesla coil RF energy
transmission-reception test distance has to be extended out to at least a
few wavelengths and the whole set of measurements taken again before
anything close to a meaningful conclusion can be drawn.

Gary Peterson"

	This is the area I've been considering comments as I think the phenomena you've observed are related to instrumantation matters more than anything else.  As I understand your experiment you compared the receiver response to a short wire to that with a resonant circuit attached and that's not a valid measurement since in the case of the wire alone there was probably a large impedance mismatch and signal loss while the matching might be much better in the resonant case.  You do indeed need to standardize the antenna part.  Quantitative field strength measurement isn't a simple matter!

	The most valid comparison you could make, and one that will be exceedingly difficult, is to compare the absolute power received by a receiver [with impedance matched to the antenna used] under these two conditions:

1. When your Tesla coil is being driven with some specific power, and

2. When the same power is applied to an antenna with known radiation properties and located at the same spot as the Tesla coil.

At least that method would eliminate receiver tuning and antenna matching as variables.

Ed