Wireless Energy Transmission Follow-up (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:22:52 -0700
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: List moderator <mod1@xxxxxxxxxx>,
     Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
     Chip Atkinson <chip@xxxxxxxxxx>, Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Wireless Energy Transmission Follow-up

Ed,

You wrote,
> . . . As I understand your experiment you compared the receiver response
> to a short wire to that with a resonant circuit attached . . .

That's not an exact description of what I'm doing, which is 1) determining
if a wireless connection can be established between a Tesla coil transmitter
and a Tesla coil receiver over a distance exceeding a few wavelengths and if
so, 2) is the energy propagated to some degree more or less by means other
than "standard radio waves."

> . . . and that's not a valid measurement since in the case of the wire
> alone there was probably a large impedance mismatch and signal loss while
> the matching might be much better in the resonant case.

The reason for using the radio receiver alone with just an ordinary antenna,
i.e., without the Tesla coil receiver existing as part of the receiver
circuit, is to determine the "standard radio wave" output power in the form
of radio space waves of the Tesla coil transmitter.

> The most valid comparison you could make . . . is to compare the absolute
> power received by a receiver [with impedance matched to the antenna used]
> . . .

I recognize the problem with the radio antenna used earlier.  I now have a
fairly good Tesla transmitter and receiver pair; the next step is to address
the antenna problem.  Two different types of antenna will be tried, a
vertical dipole with loading coils, balun and antenna preamp and a tuned
loop antenna also with a preamp.  Whatever type of radio receiver antenna is
used, it's important that it not be grounded.  Even the insulated
counterpoise type of radio antenna may be unsuitable in this case.

> . . . under these two conditions:
>
> 1. When your Tesla coil is being driven with some specific power, and
>
> 2. When the same power is applied to an antenna with known radiation
> properties and located at the same spot as the Tesla coil.

As for operating a radio transmitter, I'll probably use a waveform generator
as a low power transmitter to tune up the dipole receive antenna.  The
comparison being made is not between the two different types of wireless
transmitter (Hertz and Tesla), but rather between the two different types of
wireless receiver.  The principle differences being in the design of the
launching and the receiving structures, and the waveform, sinusoidal or
rectangular, used to excite the launching structure.

Regards,
Gary