[TCML] can you connect the secondary *directly* to the primary?

I sort of already know the answer to the question, but since I am pretty new
to the tesla coil hobby I figured that I'd ask to learn about everything
that was wrong with my idea.

When I first saw the circuit for the tesla coil primary and secondary - I
thought that it bore some similarities to an autotransformer or an
automotive ignition coil.  So I figured that I might get it to work if I
connected the base of the secondary to one side of the primary circuit.
(This might not suprise you, but it didn't work - no matter how much I
wanted it to.)

I started to look at the schematics on many websites and noticed that all of
the secondaries were connected to an earth ground.  I wasn't near my coil to
try to move the connection to an earth ground, but that will be the first
thing that I try ... but will it not work as an autotransformer because the
coupling is too weak?