Re: [TCML] how to work out average current ?

Hi Chris - I'm not sure which of the waveforms was your current waveform.  I
think that it was the turquoise one.  I see up and down spikes, but from
what I could tell - the time between the up spike and the down spike is 10
miliseconds.  If the current waveform is truly just as much above 0 amps as
it is below 0 amps - the average current would be 0 amps.  If you wanted to
find the root mean square current, that can also be done semi-easily.

I'm just not particularly familliar with the type of coil you are making -
or I would be able to probably just give you the answer ...

Since you have a simulator, you may also be able to save the current
waveform to a text file of some sort.  You could send the file to me and I
will integrate it for you - or I could help you write a formula for a
spreadsheet program to do it.  I do this sort of stuff all the time and I'd
be happy to do it for you ...

For the average current, you integrate it and divide by the length of the
waveform (in time).

For the root mean square current, you square each 'y' value, integrate the
waveform, divide by the length in time, then you take the square root of
that value.

If your waveform has bipolar pulses (just as many positive current as
negative current) you'll need to do the RMS method.