Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 4:33 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] flourescent light trick

For all of you rotating mirror guys - what do you use to look at the spark?
Do you use CCD cameras or do you have access to some high speed film?  I
have seen some of the older film-based high speed rotating mirror cameras,
and there was some apparent effort put in to replacing the film frames with
inexpensive CCD chips.  I have no idea how they avoided the mirror motion
blur on the older cameras.

With a large enough radius from the mirror to the CCD chip (and a bright
enough light source) you could probably get pretty short time windows on the sparks, and with CCD chips/cameras you could afford to take many pictures to
get the shots you want of the breaks in the arc, which would be very cool.

On Nov 17, 2007 11:06 PM, William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Chris Swinson wrote:

> One thing I noticed with flu-tubes, that if you walk away from the coil
> slowly, it goes dim, but just before it goes out totally the light
> alternates inside the tube, such as 1" on, 1" off.. all the way up the
> tube..

That's called "positive column striations," and fluorescent tubes always
have them all the time... but usually they're vibrating back and forth too
fast to notice.   If you have a straight piece of clear neon sign tube,
and sweep it rapidly back and forth while lit, then you can see the moving
patterns.  They're also called "jellybeans" by neon sign makers.  With
just the right gas mixture and high-freq power supply you can create
stable ones in a neon sign, so the sign is made of "dotted lines."

I wonder if sparks at one ATM also have them. If the blotches are moving around fast, we might never realize that they exist. (View sparks with a
spinning mirror and look for swerving stripy patterns.)

> always thought that was pretty neat! never understood why it would
> light up alternate inches in the tube though!
>
> Chris

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci