Re: [TCML] Spark gap Resistance

Hi all,

pondering some thoughts about spark gap losses too at the moment......

If the spark gap works better at the first few cycles, then I assume there is more energy across the gap. More energy making a better ionised flow across the spark gap ? If so, then why would adding more inductance reduce the losses in the gap ? surely the primary will limit the flow across the spark gap making less energy and less efficient sparks ?

On one hand it reads that faster and higher bang size the better, then saying more primary turns seems a contradiction as it will limit the energy, or at least slow it down, however you look at it, more primary turns I see as an overall loss ( It has to be?) If you use more primary turns then a higher inductance is needed to get the frequency down for an increase in cap size...

I look at it that if you double the tank cap, which gives a lower frequency, you would need less primary turns ? to keep the frequency the same?. It sounds to me more like a pulse current limitation of the tank cap more than anything ? It seems a bit daft to increase the tank size and increase the primary turns aswell ? It would lower the frequency and surely the spark would spend more time discharging over the spark gap and over all increase the losses ?

I tend to think that a large tank cap is great for a bigger bang size, though increasing primary turns is just increasing the primary losses ? I would have thought 100khz for example would discharge across the spark gap twice as fast as 50khz. so half the time over the spark gap should be a good thing, right ?

If we get onto notches, it complicates matters further. The spark gap will need to quench twice as fast from 50khz to 100khz ? If we assume first notch quench for 50khz then progress 100khz, then the wave is half the speed so 100khz given the same RSG will quench at the second notch and waste a lot of energy in the process. So overall, it "looks" like 100khz does not work aswell, when in fact the problem is elsewhere in the system..

I just have a hard time seeing why everyone keeps going for high inductances all the time which just takes twice as long to discharge across the spark gap so should "burn up" more energy. I suppose it depends on if you class the spark gap as a loss or not and how much of a loss you class it as. Even so, more primary turns is a higher resistance, so more losses. I take the spark gap as a general loss of 10% per notch, I don't know the exact figure, but really, does anyone ?

I think overall its a trade off of many factors.... If you can transfer the tank energy in 100uS for example, this is 100uS it is conducting across the spark gap and primary coil. Now double the frequency and you transfer the energy in 50uS instead, so half the time over the spark gap, will need less primary turns which should be better ( providing the tank cap can pulse a high enough current in the first place)

As a side note, I did crunch some figures the other day taking into account HF losses and even though losses maybe double at a higher frequency, all other factors taken into account also, it still seemed to me to be overall much more efficient running at a higher frequency.

It makes me wonder if the main problems are RSG off times (to slow and too many notches etc) with also that most tank caps cannot pulse the current fast enough in the first place. So a trade off for poor RSG quench and poor tank cap results in a lower frequency being used. It also makes me ponder on how higher power coils are not as efficient as smaller ones?, The larger they are the lower the frequency overall has to be and more energy burnt up across the gap per cycle maybe ?

Sorry for the amount of "ponders" in this mail. It is just my 2cents worth that a higher frequency with less primary turns and a faster RSG would overall reduce losses far more than anything else.

Chris