Re: [TCML] Spark gap Resistance

John,

In general 4 times the input power is needed to double the spark  length.
This is generally accepted and is not a new idea. In fact it's based on my
spark length formula.  But the formula is not exact because larger  coils
tend to be more efficient in their power transformers losses, and other
losses.
there may be differences in spark growth issues that are not fully understood
also.

It the roundabout figures again, if larger coils work better then x4 input for x2 output does not seem to great to me. Isn't there some majic wall where anything over 200nF tank cap does not work very well ?

Terry's OLTC uses low voltages and high currents but is reasonably efficient.

Yeah it is a good example I guess. Though my problems are much worse, I am working with MUCH higher currents and I only plan to run up to 50VDC input. more problems for me, and even more as it is 2mhz operation and use a lot of resonat circuits which I can't even work out actually how many there is, looks like 4.. even so, the design in totally backwards to how coils work at the moment.... I think such a out of the norm project is interesting just in itself..

As a plan B: also set into motion (though very slow motion  I might add) I
am
planning a high Q spark gap design also.. Its once  reason I am trying to
work out all the factors in the design and correct as much as possible. It
is a leap of faith in the design, its  a side step from general accepted
operation, though if it works or  not, I think it will at least give some
very good  data.

Good luck with that project.

thanks, I guess most have lost interest in it already anyway!

Chris