RE: [TCML] STRIATIONS Argon

My BZT-powered coil is conventional in every sense, just small.

The transformer was removed from a large bug zapper.  I had calculated the output voltage as 4.8kV @9mA, though the voltage is questionable since I had arrived at that figure by applying 120VAC to the secondary and measuring the primary voltage.  The critical thing however is that most BZT's have an integral ceramic disc capacitor wired across their secondary windings, to provide a reservoir of charge to put some snap into the zap.  I had to dig into the potting to remove it.

Gap is two parallel copper pipes.  Primary is ~5 turns #18 AWG helical coil on a PVC pipe cap.  Secondary is (estimate from memory) .84" dia x 3.4" of #38 (tiny!) wire, taken from a small relay coil.  Topload is a pseudo-toroid, 3/4" x 3.4" dia pine disk turned on a drill-press lathe, covered with Al tape.  RF ground is just the mains ground.  No filters of any sort.  Spark performance is about 2.5 inch or so, with very little tuning performed.  Putting a page documenting this on my web site is on my to-do list!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA