Re: [TCML] Re: Spark gap Resistance

In a message dated 11/20/2007 9:38:15 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

If the  energy is quenched by the 1st primary notch, there is only a
single ring  up "time" for the spark channel itself. If we quench on the
2nd primary  notch, the "time" of the secondary sparks are controlled by
the ring up  time between each spark and the energy bussed to the
developed spark  channels. It's not difficult to see that faster quench
times may not  always be preferred.

In second notch quenching, the secondary has rung  up twice and produced
a spark in each ring up and likely in the same  channel as it is hot and
ionized by the first ring up event. I expect the  channel to be more
conductive and possibly allow a little longer  protrusion on the second
ring up event.

Bart,

I remember when Bert H. speculated about this a number of years ago.
I don't think there's any  proof yet either way regarding whether  the
second transfer extends the spark.  (Please update me if I missed  it.)
My concern is that the second transfer might just brighten the spark
but not lengthen it.  Of course brightness is good too.  If the  second
transfer does lengthen the spark, then yes that would be still  another
reason to not worry about 1st notch quenching.

John