Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Output Hazards, Skin Effect?

In a message dated 11/21/2007 11:07:57 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
mrclivehansen@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>Hello,
>  I have been reading some information  which seems to assume that the
>output from a Tesla coil is not  hazardous because of its high frequency
>and low current. However, I  have also read a number of sources who
>believe otherwise. Because I  never find any reports of people coming
>into contact with their HV  output, it is difficult to come to a
>definitive answer. I am thinking  of doing a demo of my coil at a local
>school when I have it finished  and I need to weigh the dangers of having
>a device like that near the  kids. Also, it is driven by a 15/30 nst.

>-Clive

Clive,

In the old days it was thought that the skin effect applied to TC's  and
that the discharges were safe.  Now it is realized that the skin  effect
does not apply.  Actually it does apply, but the skin effect for  human
flesh goes 17" deep so it offers no protection.  It that sense it  doesn't
apply in a practical sense.  Therefore the coil output should be  considered
very dangerous.  A person can touch the output of a small tube  coil for
example and feel nothing at all.  However the nerves and other  parts
of the body can be burning up inside.  The high frequency of the  current
is too fast for the nerves to react.  This makes things very  dangerous.
You don't receive any pain warning that you may be getting hurt by  the
RF currents.

John