Re: [TCML] Coax Capacitor

-----Original Message-----

Actually, the C depends on the kind of coax.. 20-30 pF/ft might also be reasonable.  But it's a LONG way from 20pF to, say, 50 nF. (2000 ft long) and the IR losses would kill you.

>I think you will need a lot of cable to get even to 10nF value. Also coax
>usually has air gaps which will ionise and lower the voltage to maybe just a
>few hundred volts...

Again, depends on the coax. Solid dielectric coaxes (like the old RG-8 or RG-213) can take 10s of kV.  RG58 is probably good to several kV.  Foam dielectric low loss Cable TV coax (RG-6 types) isn't all that great from a voltage standpoint.

Mind you this is NOT the rated voltage of the coax. That's quite a bit lower (RG-213, for instance, is 5kV RMS)

Jim