Re: [TCML] Bug Zapper coil

On Thursday 22 November 2007 09:46:14 am Lau, Gary wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have finally gotten around to documenting my Bug Zapper Transformer (BZT)
> powered coil on my web site.  For those interested, please see
> http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/bzt_coil.htm
>
> Regards, Gary Lau
> MA, USA

Hi

I pulled the transformer from a dead bug zapper last night. It looks just like
in your picture but with the potted in cap still in place. I broke out the
high voltage probe and measured 3.56kV and 10mA. That does not look right
compared to the snappy spark.  Spark will start at about 1/8 in gap and once
started will not break until the gap is stretched to about 3/8 in. I figure
the cap is messing with the measurements.

I tried to measure the capacitance, the meter says 9nf but flashes back and
forth between that and OL. I was wondering if you were able to determine the
value of the cap in yours when you removed it, or if it was destroyed "value
unknown".  It would be an interesting experiment to see what can be done with
the original cap in its original position. At such a low power level it may
well work O.K. lossy as it may be.

Just curious,

deano