Re: [TCML] quench times again

In a message dated 11/24/2007 8:29:50 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Just when I think it has all been solved ;-)

>So it seems  you are saying that even if the secodnary is shorted out, it
>will not  change the transfer time. Though the tank voltage drops a lot
>quicker  so something has got faster ?  Also if the tank voltage has droped
>to the point where the spark gap turns off, then it still has to be  faster
?
>Its in terms of 1st notch quench vs 4th notch.. If all the  tank energy has
>been used up then the spark gap will just turn off,  this has to be quicker
>than say no break out on the secodnary which  will not drain the tank cap as
>fast....

>So With different  quench times, the tank cap has to have transfered energy
>faster as it  will alter the quench point

>*confuzzeled  look*

>Chris

Chris,

The energy transfer rate from primary to  secondary is affected only by the
coupling, assuming a set frequency.  If the  coil quenches at 1st notch
versus 3rd notch, this does *not* affect the transfer rate.   The
particular notch of quenching only affects the *number* of transfers,  not
the rate of transfer.  This is what Bart was explaining.  So  a fast
draining of energy from the secondary (through a ground strike  for
example) will affect which notch the gap quenches at, but not the  primary
to secondary transfer rate.

What an early ground strike (or a lower streamer impedance) does,  is
to *prevent* more than one transfer.  If there is more than one  transfer,
(for example 2nd notch quench), it obviously takes time for these  extra
transfers to occur.  This extra time is what makes the quenching  occur
later.  The late quenching is not due to a slower rate of  transfer.

Let's go back to the car analogy.  Suppose you have a car which  can
only travel at 100 miles per hour (no faster, no slower).  You drive  from
London to Dover and let's say it takes 1 hour.  Your rate of  travel
(transfer)
is 100 miles per hour (MPH).  But let's say you make the trip to  Dover,
then turn around and go back to London, then go back to Dover  again.
That's going to take 3 hours of total travel time (2nd notch  quench).
So the car was traveling 3 times longer (gap was firing 3 times  longer).
But the car always traveled at 100 MPH.  It never went faster or  slower.
The rate of motion of the car (rate of transfer) didn't change.

John