Re: [TCML] speeding up sync motors ?

In a message dated 11/25/2007 10:38:16 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Tesla List,
>I would like to hear if anyone has succeeded in  driving a synchronous gap
>with a belt drive. I have been cobbling  together such a project but found
>that the belt slippage negates the  synchronous aspect of the design. I am
>looking for some cog belts that  might do the trick.

>Any thoughts or experiences would be  welcome.
>Jim Zimmerschied

Jim,

A cogged belt with toothed pulleys should work fine.  Just be  sure the
pulleys have the exact size relationship needed to keep the system in
sync.  For example if you want to double the rpm then the large
pulley should have double the diameter and number of teeth than
the small one I guess.  If you want to triple the rpm then one  pulley
should have exactly 3 times as many teeth as the the other.  I  suppose
this is obvious but I figured I'm mention it.  I'm assuming you'll  be
starting with an 1800 rpm sync motor, then increasing the speed
to 3600 rpm or 5400 rpm.  I'm assuming you want the higher speed
to help quenching or to reduce dwell times.  Otherwise the  higher
sync break-rates can be achieved just by adding extra electrodes
while using an 1800 rpm motor.

There are standard type cog belts which are very flexible and
lightweight and should work well.  Some of the belts are black,
others seem to be a more translucent material.  I've never
tried the concept.  Maybe McMasterCarr sells these belts
and pulleys.  Other places too.

John