RE: [TCML] Phase

Hi Tony:

The fluorescent light thing isn't used for setting the SRSG phase.  It's only useful for confirming that a motor is in fact synchronous.  Setting the phase is done strictly experimentally, with the coil operating.

Ideally, you want to be able to adjust your SRSG phase, not just once initially, but every time you use it.  Surprisingly, there's not a sweet spot, where performance diminishes on either side of that setting.  Instead, as the phase gets set later and later, bang size and performance increase, and then suddenly the safety gaps start firing and things get scary, so you need to back off.  And that point is dependant on your main variac setting.  The best way to do this is with an electronic phase controller a-la John Freau.  This amounts to a small variac used as a 2-terminal variable inductor, and a motor run capacitor in parallel with the motor.  Adjusting the small variac smoothly adjusts the motor's phase, though you may need to adjust the rotor relative to the motor shaft to get the phase into the ballpark.  My SRSG page showing the phase controller is at http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/sync_gap.htm

John's SRSG page is at http://members.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA