Re: [TCML] Sync gap settings (was phase)

> I  have mine set at a little less than .125 each and I was anticipating on
setting the
> safety gap at about .200-.250. The SRSG spins nice and  true and uses
tungsten on
> both sides of the gap. How long do these  things last anyways? My old
static gap
> had 6 gaps made of brass and  they would melt after a few months of on and
off
> use.
>
>  Tony

Tony,

I found on my TT-42 coil which uses a 12/30 NST, that I had to
set the rotary gap electrodes quite close for smoothest  operation.
If I had set them at 0.125" each, I don't thing the coil would function
at all.  I have mine set at about 0.010" each.  My safety gap is  set
at about 0.375" x 2 (although I'm sure I could make them a little
closer).

Using a sync rotary, the safety gap will never fire once the coil is
tuned up and the rotary phase is adjusted.  If something fails  or
changes, etc, then the safety gap may fire.

Since you're using tungsten (brittle), be sure your electrodes can't  crash.
Also use a blast shield in case they do.  Also stay physically out of  the
line of danger if they come flying off.

John