Re: [TCML] my recommendation for a SRSG motor arbor

Hi Terry,

Actually, I can't take the credit for originating the spilt taper
bushing idea. Someone on this list suggested the idea to me
several years ago. I'm too lazy to search through thousands of
list archives to find it but I'm sure that it's there somewhere ;^)
I picked my bushing up from a local Grainger Industrial Sup-
ply store and did not even think about searching ebay for them
at that time. Mine is for a 5/8" shaft too, but is probably about
twice as large as the ones that you pictured and has 3 pre-
tapped (1/4" x 20 TPI, I believe) holes and three slightly
larger (5/16"?) smooth bored holes for a total of 6 holes
on the flange face mounting surface. I simply drilled out 3
matching 1/4"  holes in my G-10 rotary disc to match the
tapped holes on the bushing and screwed the disc to the
bushing face via these holes with proper size/length bolts
and lock washers. The collar of my bushing was also pre-
tapped with two holes with set screws that go directly over
the keyway of the shaft. I inserted the proper sized key and
tighened the setscrews on the key to secure the bushing as-
sembly to the shaft. Works like champ ;^)

Happy sparking,
David

----- Original Message ----- From: <toxandale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:15 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] my recommendation for a SRSG motor arbor

David; Thanks for the recommendation of the split taper bushings. I
purchased a couple of 5/8" bushings and found that the fit was very nice
with about .001" slack on the motor shaft. To make it a snug fit I welded
the gap on the two splits, and when the metal cooled, the bore shrank just
enough so that it requires slight tapping with the hammer to slip it onto
the motor shaft. Next I'll drill a couple of holes, tap them, and use set
screws to ensure the bushing stays in place on the shaft. And best of all it
was only $3.

http://fototime.com/3CA58128477D934/standard.jpg

http://fototime.com/BA79773D144E776/standard.jpg