[TCML] Regulating HV (Australian)

I believe
that Peter was referring to the fact that there ARE such regulations in Australia (about
what sorts of electrical equipment mere common people are allowed to have and modify)

Yes, enforcement might be challenging, but they tend to get you in a variety of insidious
ways.. some of which are incidental: like the exclusion in your insurance policy (blow your
garage up with illegal activities, and we don't pay out, not only that, but your policy
will be cancelled, and you won't be able to get a new one). Or your health insurance
(injuries due to participation in hazardous activities excluded) or life insurance (same).

So, while technically, one might not close it all down, it would certainly have a chilling
effect, except for people with somewhat unique circumstances (i.e. no mortgage,
independently wealthy and unemployed, etc.)

One just doesn't want to go there...

Jim

Pretty much, if you can 'plug it in' (ie no mains rewiring required), one is entitled to modify / make / use anything. Interference with others & their services (TV / radio / telecomms) will be redressed under various local & state legislation.

The issue is one of a fundamental acceptance of the responsibility for ones own actions. If you get electrocuted - that's your own affair. If you set fire to your workshop - why would any insurance be required to cover your own deliberate and inherently risk laden acts. I doubt anyone would be claiming compensation of any sort for acts that they themselves caused. (At least that's the way it goes in Australia)

Where I wound up with a very large apparatus at one stage, and interference was likely, an experimental radio station licence from the Department of Communications covered me against interference that may have been caused. Its about being responsible and personally accountable, not trying to duck for cover under insurance. Insurance wont be canceled for simply owning / running even large coils. How would they even know unless you were trying to 'pass the buck' for your actions?

PeteR