[TCML] Some general design questions

Regarding grounding....I'm using 2 wires of an extension cord coming out of the variac to a line filter, then to PFC caps, then to the NST.  The variac is mains grounded but everything else is RF (earth) grounded.  Everything except the variac will be located under the base of the coil.  After much reading this seems to be the right way to do it but some pictures of other peoples' coils suggest otherwise.

I have a srsg that needs to spin up in order to sync lock so I'm powering it straight from the mains and it also only uses 2 wires.  The motor housing is RF grounded.  I plan on powering up the rotary gap and then applying power to the coil with the variac as soon as the motor syncs up.

Since I'm using only 2 wires, I only need one "across the line" MOV and a suitable fuse for the NST power and for the sync motor power right?  Should I use a slowblo fuse on the NST and a fast one for the motor?

I bought MOVs for line-to-ground use but that was before I realized that I'd only be using 2 wires and the RF ground.  Doesn't seem like I'll need them.  The purpose of these MOVs is just to protect the stuff hooked up to the mains, right?

Any input?  Much Appreciated!

Andrew
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx