Re: Aluminium Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 10:47:33 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Aluminium Wire  (fwd)

[varia, on many aspects...]

>...inductance affected by material ?
    Not.  Length and coil geometry and core
    (including 'nocore')

>...pre planning/discussion/peer review of experiments:

    REAL science is a lot messier that the PR version presented by
    the media, and PR flacks.

    Real science is not so neat as high school (or even college)
    experiments.

    Real Science, especially where funded involves Peer Review
    in advance to get funding, peer review (local) as the experiment
    runs, peer review after, to get published and THEN the fun
    continues in letter columns.  Or on the net, these days.

Back to technology:
   Much phone voice still travels, in part on 'copperweld':
   copper over steel core, with freqs not that different than
   coiling.  Including those with DSL feeds: same freqs.

>...brass...
   Giggle.  There are as many brasses as one may like, as with
   bronze, and most 'Al': all are alloys, of varying properties and
   proportions.

   Back to copperweld, and its Al cousins (alumoweld, is, i think
   a brand name).  Looke carefully at specs of coaxes speced to
   waveguide freqs, especially at the miles and miles of coax
   forming the CATV infrastucture:  Most or all is .....weld
   over noncopper cores.  Yes: the application is different,
   but Al over various and various over Al perform fine at RF.

   One entertaining, possibly instructive, comparison, which I am not
   volunteering to do would be of 'coils' (primary and secondary (
   separately?)) of Al and Cu wound to same _resistance_.

Back, briefly to philosophy:
   ...an experiment knowing what one is proving...
   Wellllll.  Sometimes 'knowing' what one is proving prevents
   seeing what one DID prove.  Someone (disrecall who) once
   said, roughly:
     Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am
     doing.

Historical Footnote:
   Al became cheap, largely, thru Electrolytic refining, In US, this
   was plants set up near Niagara Falls, powered by (ahemmmmm)
   Tesla's designed plants.

   best
    dwp