unusual secondary geometries (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:30:09 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: unusual secondary geometries

Hey all,
     I stumbled across a web page advertising a square Tesla coil, the secondary was round, but it got me thinking.  Would anything other than a round secondary function properly, such as a square, or an ellipse, or an octagon, or even something exotic like a star shape (if one was tricky, he could interweave the windings in the same manner one draws a 5 point star without lifting a pen, around 5 vertical poles)?  I would imagine breakout would occur at any "corners" as viewed from above, not to mention it would be a pain to construct.  Just musing.
Scott Bogard.