RE: double wound secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:50:24 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: double wound secondary (fwd)

No!  Inductors in parallel do not add.  If they are tightly coupled and
identical in value, the net inductance approaches that of a single coil.
If the two identical tightly coupled coils are wired in SERIES, the net
value then approaches 4X the individual value.  If the series coils were
not coupled, the net value would be 2X.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits

Gary Lau
MA, USA

> From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: double wound secondary (fwd)
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> The Q isn't as neat (in my little book) as the inductance. The only
way
> possible I can account for this is if the two windings at the bottom
and
> top are in parallel and very close proximity. We know inductors in
> parallel add. But, when current is flowing and if the two inductors
are
> in "that" type of proximity (and position) winding for winding, then
we
> now have the currents in both inductors doubling up on the flux (the
> density is double on both windings). This would certainly result in a
4x
> (or about) inductance. I've never done that with a coil, but from an
arm
> chair physics view, it makes perfect sense that you would have 4X the
L.

> One of the goofy things not always realized with the multiturn coil
> formula's (air core or otherwise) is that that a series connection is
> assumed. You must have 2 parallel wires in this type of close
proximity
> to achieve this. Very cool!
>
> Take care,
> Bart