rolled cap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:50:03 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: rolled cap

Hey guys,
     A very quick question, I read somewhere that a rolled cap has twice the capacitance of a flat plate of the same dimensions, this makes sense if you are assuming 2 plates per cap, as it sees double the surface area, sort of.  What if you are using 4, 6, 8, or more plates, then the advantage would diminish correct?  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that only the outer two plates of a rolled cap produce the "extra" capacitance, and the inner plates produce the same capacitance that they would in a flat plate design.  Am I correct, or way off base here?  Thanks.