Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:01:39 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

Chris,

Huh? Aluminum is NOT ferromagnetic, either! Only iron, nickel,
cobalt and a FEW other materials, of which is mostly rare earth
metals are truly ferromagnetic (noticable attraction to a magnetic
field). OTOH, most metals do still show a SLIGHT attraction to
the pull of VERY STRONG magnetic fields, such as that on the
pole surface of a neodymium-iron-boron (rare earth) magnet.
Balance a small rod of at least 6" length of a non-ferromagnetic
metal on your finger and then bring a good sized rare earth magnet
near one side of the rod. The rod will dip down on the side that the
magnet is brought under. This will occur with aluminum or copper
or also with a crisp, new federal reserve note. United States paper
currency is printed with a magnetic ink.

David Rieben