RE: dual mot tc (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 11:05:15 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: dual mot tc (fwd)

Clive,
     Bottle caps should work fine with an NST, I used them with my OBIT
stack, which is similar to an NST in most respects.  If you are concerned
about voltage breakdown, remember that glass has a dielectric strength of
about 200-300 V/mill, so a piece of glass an eighth of an inch thick will
withstand about 25000 volts.  Most jars are a little thicker that that, so
you should be fine with any NST.  An NST is also better because of the
higher working voltage of the spark gap makes it easier to construct, and
you will have less problems with power arcing due to the lower current.
If you have not already procured an NST, check out OBITs (oil burner
ignition transformer) as well, you may be able to get them for free from a
furnace repair place, they are generally less hardy, but if treated well,
they will due nicely (I've never lost an OBIT in TC service yet, excluding
the ones that were already damaged).  You may want to pick up a few, and
stack them for more current.  Good luck.

Scott Bogard.