Re: fFINAL REPORT Cu COIL vs Al COIL (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:23:10 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: fFINAL REPORT Cu COIL vs Al COIL (fwd)

Hi Ed:

In your earlier post about this experiment, you mentioned that the
aluminum wire had been sitting on a post in your basement for some number
of years and hadn't been cleaned.  How bad was it - just marginally dull
or coated with basement crud?  Was the copper wire that you used new and
shiny by contrast?  This could be an important footnote.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA"

	The Al looked clean and wasn't really dirty at all.  Coil had been hanging from the ceiling of the garage [originally intended for ground lead for TC on second floor] but hadn't collected anything but dust.  The Cu wire was shiny clean as I just bought some regular house wire and stripped the jacket off.  I don't know how much difference the physical condition affected the results and, if I'd thought about it, I'd have cleaned the outside of the Al wire with fine steel wool "just in case" although I suspect it would oxidize instantly back to the original condition.  I suspect but don't kow for sure that surface finish is far less important at these frequencies than in a microwave resonator for example.

	One thing that was slightly mickey mouse was the connection of the Al coil to the Q meter terminals.  The stuff was of large enough diameter that I had a very hard time tightening the nuts securely - wire kept wanting to slip out - and there may have been some slight contact resistance in spite of the gold plating on the terminals.  I thought of filing the wore flat and square so it would fit better but invincible laziness set in and I was impatient to make a clean comparison so skipped that.

Ed