Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:26:35 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

Hi Steve,

I didn't understand your statement regarding charging, but then my brain
turned on. What your saying is that as the disc is spinning, the
charging gap will perform several passes of each rotating electrode
until the bang voltage is achieved, at which point the main gap fires.
So, a high bps will decrease charge time and should also act as a power
delivery adjustment (you get out what you put in). I don't see how your
fully charging the 50nF cap to 2xVDC in 235us however. This should take
nearly 14ms with your power supply (14/250) unless your firing at a
lower voltage of about 17KVDC? Still plenty of voltage to do some decent
sparks! Chris is using a 12/30 which is 10x less power than your system.

Have you measured DCV at the cap? The reason I ask is I wonder about
that measurement where 28KVDC is charging in pulses vs. the actual
"settled" charge on the cap. This might be very difficult to measure.
You would probably read the charging voltage and not the actual charged
voltage. This same problem occurs with classic AC charging measurements
as well. 235uF is just too quick in my head for the full voltage.

BTW, I enjoyed your setup and PPT file! Excellent work! Your coils look
great and your charging inductor, motor, and cap bank are tidy and
clean. The cabinet also was a work of art. A nice coil to be very proud
of! Thanks for sending it. BTW, I don't have PowerPoint but I did have
the viewer, so all was good. You made a believer out of me!

Take care,
Bart