Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:44:55 -0600
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

Peter wrote:
> I understand how . . . [E]arth can have a low resistance . . . 1 ohm . . .
> may be quite reasonable.

That is a good start.

> . . . shoot 1MV . . .

Not 1 megavolt, rather 12 to 15 megavolts or 100 megavolts for the
earth-resonance based system.

. . . into the plasma ionosphere . . .

Not the ionosphere, rather the rarified region of Earth's atmosphere
starting at an elevation of about 8 kilometers (5 miles).

> . . . What you won't do is impedance match that to 200 low voltage 50W
> light globes . . .

But the 200 light bulbs story is seemingly a myth. . . .

> . . . from some trivially small antenna . . .

The elevated terminal of the receiving station is constructed so as to be
the correct size-exactly-for the entire system to be in tune.

> and expect to extract 10kW.

It is expected that when the fully developed system is in place it will be
possible to extract exactly the amount of energy that is available from the
generators minus the global transmission line losses, which should amount to
about 75 kilowatts.

     "This [ Fig. 82, www.teslaradio.com/images/14-082-3.gif ] illustrates,
on a larger scale, the earth.  Here is my transmitter-mine or anybody's
transmitter-because my system is the system of the day.  The only difference
is in the way I apply it.  They, the radio engineers, want to apply my
system one way; I want to apply it in another way.

     "This is the circuit energizing the antenna.  As the vibratory energy
flows, two things happen:  There is electromagnetic energy radiated and a
current passes into the earth.  The first goes out in the form of rays,
which have definite properties.  These rays propagate with the velocity of
light, 300,000 kilometers per second.  This energy is exactly like a hot
stove.  If you will imagine that the cylinder antenna is hot-and indeed it
is heated by the current-it would radiate out energy of exactly the same
kind as it does now.  If the system is applied in the sense I want to apply
it, this energy is absolutely lost, in all cases most of it is lost.  While
this electromagnetic energy throbs, a current passes into the globe.

     "Now, there is a vast difference between these two, the electromagnetic
and current energies.  That energy which goes out in the form of rays, is,
as I have indicated here [on the diagram of Fig. 82], unrecoverable,
hopelessly lost.  You can operate a little instrument by catching a
billionth part of it but, except this, all goes out into space never to
return.  This other energy, however, of the current in the globe, is stored
and completely recoverable.  Theoretically, it does not take much effort to
maintain the earth in electrical vibration.  I have, in fact, worked out a
plant of 10,000 horse-power which would operate with no bigger loss than 1
percent of the whole power applied; that is, with the exception of the
frictional energy that is consumed in the rotation of the engines and the
heating of the conductors, I would not lose more than 1 percent.  In other
words, if I have a 10,000 horsepower plant, it would take only 100
horsepower to keep the earth vibrating so long as there is no energy taken
out at any other place.

     "There is another difference.  The electromagnetic energy travels with
the speed of light, but see how the current flows.  At the first moment,
this current propagates exactly like the shadow of the moon at the earth's
surface.  It starts with infinite velocity from that point, but its speed
rapidly diminishes; it flows slower and slower until it reaches the equator,
6,000 miles from the transmitter.  At that point, the current flows with the
speed of light-that is, 300,000 kilometers per second.  But, if you consider
the resultant current through the globe along the axis of symmetry of
propagation, the resultant current flows continuously with the same velocity
of light.

     "Whether this current passing through the center of the earth to the
opposite side is real, or whether it is merely an effect of these surface
currents, makes absolutely no difference.  To understand the concept, one
must imagine that the current from the transmitter flows straight to the
opposite point of the globe.

     "There is where I answer the attacks which have been made on me.  For
instance, Dr. Pupin has ridiculed the Tesla system.  He says,

     "The energy goes only in all directions."

"It does not.  It goes only in one direction.  He is deceived by the size
and shape of the earth.  Looking at the horizon, he imagines how the
currents flow in all directions, but if he would only for a moment think
that this earth is like a copper wire and the transmitter on the top of the
same, he would immediately realize that the current only flows along the
axis of the propagation.

     "The mode of propagation can be expressed by a very simple mathematical
law, which is, the current at any point flows with a velocity proportionate
to the cosecant of the angle which a radius from that point includes with
the axis of symmetry of wave propagation.  At the transmitter, the cosecant
is infinite; therefore, the velocity is infinite.  At a distance of 6,000
miles, the cosecant is unity; therefore, the velocity is equal to that of
light.  This law I have expressed in a patent by the statement that the
projections of all zones on the axis of symmetry are of the same length,
which means, in other words, as is known from rules of trigonometry, that
the areas of all the zones must also be equal.  It says that although the
waves travel with different velocities from point to point, nevertheless
each half wave always includes the same area.  This is a simple law, not
unlike the one which has been expressed by Kepler with reference to the
areas swept over by the radii vectors.

     "I hope that I have been clear in this exposition-in bringing to your
attention that what I show here is the system of the day, and is my
system-only the radio engineers use my apparatus to produce too much of this
electromagnetic energy here, instead of concentrating all their attention on
designing an apparatus which will impress a current upon the earth and not
waste the power of the plant in an uneconomical process."  [Nikola Tesla On
His Work With Alternating Currents and Their Application to Wireless
Telegraphy, Telephony and Transmission of Power, Leland I. Anderson, Editor,
Twenty First Century Books, 1992, pp. 140-141.]

Best regards,
Gary

Gary Peterson
Twenty First Century Books