Re: MOT calc trouble (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:51:59 +1300
From: tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MOT calc trouble (fwd)

Hi Kris

I assume you are trying to calculate the capacitance that will resonate at
60Hz (mains) with the equivalent series inductance of the 4 secondaries in
series.

Magnetically shunted MOT's have a lot of leakage inductance. My measurements
we made by placing a primary SC and measuring the current thru the mot with
a large AC voltage. I measured approx 6Hy in this situation with my MOT's so
I expect you have approx 24 hy of inductance to resonate (4 x6). As the Xl
was much greater than the 100ohms of resistance the measuring method is
reasonably accurate but MOT saturation will reduce the Xl at full power I
think

Hope this assists
Ted Linney NZ

> Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:26:48 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Kris Grillo <kristianisawesome@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: MOT calc trouble
>
> I'm trying to figure out resonant cap size for a 4 mot power supply. The
problem is I only have a guess as to what the voltage and amperage output of
the transformers are. I'm thinking the voltage should be around 8400 volts,
going by what the microwave caps were rated for.  I'm guessing the amperage
should be .5 amps, but I don't know how to actually test to confirm the
actual. Does anyone have any advice?