RE: Source for cooling? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:24:16 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Source for cooling? (fwd)

Hi Nick,
     The reason your freezer does not have a compressor is that it
operates by a thermocouple, two dissimilar pieces of metal laid side by
side, with an electric current passed through them.  Somehow this cools
the fridge, as one heats up faster than the other (and the hot one gets
cooled by a fan, which draws heat from the other piece of metal and the
fridge, I am unsure of the exact details).  As for the fans, make sure you
figure out how much power they need, they may be electronically
controlled, and supplying them with a non regulated power source may be
bad for them (or it may not, I am no expert).  I personally use small
squirrel cage fans for everything I want cooled, similar to those in
microwaves.  Good luck.

Scott Bogard.