Re: Overvolting an NST? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:02:45 EDT
From: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Overvolting an NST? (fwd)

Hi Ben,

    Just like people, the higher the stress level, the  shorter the life
expectancy. You can't tell how long it will be, just that  however long it lasts,
it would have lasted longer with less stress. It's the  stress on the HV side
that does the most damage, because the HV insulation  breaks down faster with
age, and most surplus NST's are of unknown vintage. If  you feel you must push
it, keep the runs short and resist the urge to open  the gap wider. It has
been said, "Those who pay for transformers out  of their own pocket are more
conservative with the next one they have to buy."  ;^))

YRMV,

Matt D.

In a message dated 10/19/07 8:08:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,