My 4 inch Tesla Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:54:26 EDT
From: Ln2guy42@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: My 4 inch Tesla Coil

Hello Everyone!

I'm 14 years old and I  recently built a tesla coil, and I  was wondering if
it is up to par with the other 4 inch diameter tesla coils out  there and if
not, how I can improve it. The power supply is a 6,000 volt 30  ma NST, so 180
watts. The capacitor is an 8000 volt .005 mica capacitor in  parallel with a
beer bottle capacitor, so the total capacitance is around .01  mfd. I have
heard many people saying that mica capacitors are very "fragile" and  can die very
easily, but I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. The coil  is 4
inches in diameter and is 22 inches long. The primary is copper tubing 1/4  inch
At best, I can get around 18-20 inches of arcing. Many of the  other 4 inch
tesla coils I have seen on Youtube have a much larger toroid than  mine, but
when I add a bigger toroid, the arc gets smaller regardless of tuning.  I think
this is because my coil is underpowered but I'm not sure. I would  greatly
appreciate any comments.

This is the link to the video.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9GyxisrWAw_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9GyxisrWAw)

Thank You so Much!
Amir

Bye the way are there going to be any Teslathons in  California?