Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:33:58 -0600
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

> "In God we [trust]. . . . all others must bring data."

     In regards to Tesla's assertion that the connection between a Tesla
coil RF transmitter and a Tesla coil RF receiver is NOT by means of "radio
waves," it turns out that TESLA WAS RIGHT.  The historical record shows that
wireless transmission that did not involve far-field electromagnetic
radiation was achieved in 1899 over a distance of 16.1 kilometers (10
miles).  Based upon the 100 kHz operating frequency that Tesla is known to
have used at Colorado Springs (CSN, Sept. 7, 1899), this works out to a
distance of approximately 5 1/3 wavelengths and thus fairly deep into the
far-field zone.

>> . . . Many of the members of this list are guys who build real things and
>> test them.  Hopefully one or more of them will take the challenge and
>> perform experiments to confirm or refute the hypotheses in question. . .
>> .

     Here is some data collected using a Tesla wireless transmission and
reception system that supports Tesla's assertion.

July 27, 2002
     A grounded Tesla coil RF energy transmitter and Tesla coil RF energy
receiving transformer pair, previously constructed, was used to obtain
signal-strength measurements at various distances of separation.  The input
to the transmitter's primary was .750 - 1 amps at 23.83 volts for an
approximate transmitter power output of 17.8 -23.8 watts.

     Initial tune-up was accomplished using an analogue volt meter and/or a
small incandescent Xmas tree lamp connected directly to the receiver's
secondary coil terminals.  The lamp could be made to glow dimly at 10.7 m
(35').  A small permanent magnet dc electric motor with a full bridge diode
rectifier could be made to run at approximately half that distance.

     At distances a little greater than 11 m a Fluke True RMS Multimeter was
used as an E-field probe to sense the pulsating electric field associated
with the vertical conductor that connects the helical resonator to the
elevated terminal.  A wire lead was connected to the V input of the meter
and brought into close proximity with vertical conductor.  The meter's COM
input was connected to a point in common with the bottom lead of the
receiver's helical resonator at the end of a 58' ground insulated wire lying
on the ground and connected to a 20-foot steel water well casing.  With the
receiving transformer located at a distance of about 60 m (200') from the
transmitter, a 204 - 230 mVAC reading was observed on meter (Al foil off of
roll = 34.9 cm (13.75")).

     At the same distance of about 60 m. (200') from the Tesla coil RF
energy transmitter, using a low frequency radio communications receiver with
an approximately 20' wire antenna plus ground, and with no with Tesla coil
RF energy receiving transformer involved, no RF energy that was associated
with the transmitter could be observed.  Future observations will be made
with a longer antenna circuit that includes an LF antenna preamp and
possibly a loading coil.  A tuned loop antenna will also be tried.

     The Tesla coil RF energy receiving transformer was then moved to a
position roughly 152 m (500') from the transmitter.  The resonator's ground
connection was made with a 32.9 m (108') insulated ground wire running
across the ground to a 12.2 m (40') steel water well casing.  The V lead of
the AC volt meter arrangement described above was once again brought into
close proximity with the above-described vertical conductor with ambiguous
results.  The multimeter was then replaced with a low frequency radio
communications receiver.   The wire lead (VAC) running to near the
resonator-elevated terminal conductor was connected to one of the
communications receiver's 300-ohm antenna terminals.  The ground lead was
connected to the other 300 ohm antenna terminal (with the ground jumper in
place).  With this arrangement an S7 field-strength reading was observed on
the receiver's field strength meter (Al foil off of roll = 24.8 cm (9.75")).
It is noted that the transmitter was almost certainly out of tune due to
instability of the pulse generator.

     With the Tesla coil energy receiving transformer located at a distance
of approximately 1 km (.621 mi.) from the transmitter and the transmitter
precisely in tune, an S5 field-strength reading was observed on the
receiver's field strength meter (Al foil off of roll = 43.8 cm (17.25')).
In addition to the field strength reading, a pronounced suppression of the
background thermal RF noise was noticed

Preliminary Conclusions
     Given that a connection was established between the Tesla coil RF
transmitter and the Tesla coil RF receiver, and that energy was transmitted
and subsequently collected at the receiving location that was in excess of
1/2-wavelength from the transmitter, while under the same Tesla-coil
transmitter conditions a radio wave receiver at a much closer distance was
unable to detect the transmitted energy, then empirical evidence exists that
the transfer of energy is not by means of "radio waves."

     By the way, the ongoing investigations, partly described above, have
demonstrated that Tesla was right in regards to another disputed physical
principle, that is the capacity of an insulated spherical conductor in space
increases as a function of elevation above the earth's surface.

     Transmitter Construction Details -- The transmitter's resonator has a
7:1 aspect ratio.  With the door-knob topload it resonates at about 185 kHz.
With the 58.4 cm (23") diameter aluminum disk elevated terminal in place the
resonant frequency is measured at 107.83 kHz .  Frequency counter is a Fluke
True RMS Multimeter.

Excitation circuit
Interdesign square-wave pulse generator
H11L3GE optoisolator
IRF640 power MOSFET and associated circuitry
24 volt DC power supply (2 12 volt lead-acid car batteries)

Primary coil
coil form (spool): upper portion of a 5-gallon plastic pail
Diameter: 29.2 cm (11.5")
Length: 5.4 cm (2.125")
Wire size: AWG #14, type MTW  THWN  THHN  AWM 600 volt
Turns: 18
Winding length: 5.4 cm (2.125")

Secondary coil (helical resonator)
Coil form: 3.18 mm (1/8") + cardboard cylinder with 2.38 mm (3/32") acrylic
ends, with a few light coats of polyurethane finish (Grace Ice & Water
Shield cylinder)
Diameter: 13.5 (5.3125")
Length:  96.5 cm (38")
Wire size: AWG #24 magnet wire (Nyleze)
Turns: 1740
Winding length: 95.3 cm (37.5")
Inductance: 54.6 mH
Resistance: 72.7 ohms
Height of bottom turn above ground:  45.7 cm (18")

Elevated terminal
Aluminum disk
Diameter: 58.4 cm (23")
Thickness: 3.18 mm (0.125")
Height above top turn:  2.48 m (97.5")
Height above ground: 3.89 m (153")

Ground terminal
Two copper bonded steel rods, 1.71 cm x 2.44 m (5/8" x 8'), with 20.3 cm
(8") spacing, driven into the water table at a depth of approximately 1.22 m
(4') below grade
Connecting wire: 4.27 m (14') AWG #10 (stranded) + 6.55 m (21.5') AWG #16
cord

     Receiver Construction Details -- A Tesla coil RF energy receiving
transformer with widely-adjustable variable elevated terminal.

Primary
Coil form: Single layer of craft paper with 2.38 mm (3/32") acrylic ends,
coated with polyurethane finish
Form diameter: 27.9 cm (11")
Form length: 45.7 cm(18")
Primary wire size: AWG #22 magnet wire (Nyleze)
Turns: 630 (approx.)
Winding length: 44.5 cm (17.5")
Inductance: 57.5 mH
Resistance: 28.5 ohms
Height of bottom turn above ground: 41.9 cm (16.5")

Secondary
Wire size: AWG #18 cord (closewound)
Secondary turns: 18 (ends left open, i.e., diminutive lamp load disconnected
when E-field probe 'detector' is used)
Winding length: 1.68", first turn starts 0.875" above lowest primary turn

Elevated terminal ('curtain cap')
Aluminum foil rolled on to a 7/8" wooden dowel
Foil width: 18"
Foil length: adjustable from 1.5" to 60"
Maximum height above top turn: 1.88 m (74")

Ground terminals
6.1 m (20') steel water well casing; 12.2 m (40') steel water well casing;
municiple fire hydrant
Connecting wire:  16.8 m (55') insulated AWG #14 cord.

Regards,
Gary Peterson

Twenty First Century Books
P.O. Box 2001