Re: Soljacic wins $10k MIT Young Scholar Award (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:33:58 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Soljacic wins $10k MIT Young Scholar Award (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

I never thought about that aspect of it (I was more thinking of the
impracticality of such a large near field vis a vis safety)

You're right.  That meter diameter coil with 10 turns of heavy copper
wire or tubing (e.g. 30+ meters of copper tubing), as opposed to 1 meter
of small gauge copper to carry the power directly.

Inductive power transfer has been used for decades, even on an
industrial scale: supplying excitation current to the rotor of a
synchronous generator, for example.  It's also used instead of slip
rings to get power to a moving platform on spacecraft.  And, of course
the example of the wireless recharging of the electric toothbrush
mentioned in the articles.